GDRA has been rowing safely in singles and household doubles since April. Rowing a single shell in the middle of a river is perhaps the ultimate socially distanced sport.
Our GDRA COVID19 Protocols follow all CDC, Ohio, Dayton and USRowing guidelines. We added new facilities for hand and boat washing and a new online reservation system to prevent crowding. Masks are required inside the boathouse and all our members are being very conscientious about social distancing.
We are fortunate that our club has a lot of single shells (24 club owned singles and 17 privately owned). As a result, our members have been able to row as much as they want. Participation is actually higher than it was last year! Our big team boats are gathering dust on the racks, but it is just not worth the risk. USRowing Guidelines still discourage rowing in team boats because of the risk of transmission of the disease through respiratory signature.
We look forward, of course, to the end of the pandemic. We look forward to rowing in team boats again and traveling to regattas. But in the meantime, we can row safely. And once you shove off from the dock, all those tensions and worries are replaced by that simple sound of the blades dropping into the water
GDRA is pleased to announce that we will be teaching LTR in singles starting in July. To teach safely and effectively, classes will be limited to 3 students per instructor. Classes will be held on weekends. Morning or early afternoon weekday sessions are also possible if there is sufficient interest. The cost will be $175 per person. To reserve your spot or for more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: Downtown Dayton YMCA, Yoga/Pilates Room (adjacent to cycling)
Starts: December 5th
Schedule: Thursdays 6:15-7:15pm, Saturdays 11am-Noon
Coach: Jan Hill
Fees: YMCA of Greater Dayton membership is required, the initiation fee will be waived. You may cancel membership during any month. GDRA provides the rowing ergometers and coaching at no cost. If you already have a YMCA of Greater Dayton membership, then you are all set! And of course, your YMCA membership includes full access to Y facilities and programs in all Greater Dayton YMCAs.
To assist with obtaining your YMCA membership ahead of your first workout, GDRA will have someone at the YMCA counter on Thursday December 5 at 5:30pm, and Saturday December 7 at 10:30am.
As a GDRA member, you can use our ergs whenever the room is available. Also, there is likely to be a regular morning group ( more on that later).
Please let me know if you have any questions. See you there!
GDRA has recently introduced a Youth Membership category ages 12 – 17 years old in order to respond to requests from prospective members to be able to row with their families!
- All existing GDRA rules will apply equally to Adult Members and Youth Members (including membership fee).
- The only distinction between Youth and Adult Members is that Youth Members will require the supervision of an Adult Sponsor.
- This new option does not change the existing Parent/Child rule that allows parents to row with non-member children.
Please email the GDRA Membership Director for more information.
GDRA’s masters racing team will be participating in the following sprint regattas:
- Dogwood Masters Classic May 25, 2019 | Melton Lake | Oak Ridge, TN (USA)
- Indy Summer Sprints Jun 22, 2019 | Eagle Creek Park | Indianapolis, IN (USA)
- Independence Day Regatta Jun 28, 2019 to Jun 30, 2019 | Schuylkill River | Philadelphia, PA (USA)
- Midwest Summer Sprints Championships Aug 3, 2019 | Dillon Lake | Nashport, OH (USA)
- USRowing Masters National Championships Aug 15, 2019 to Aug 18, 2019 | Grand River| Grand Rapids, MI (USA)
Greater Dayton Rowing Association has been operating since 1992. Our boathouse is on Island MetroPark, near downtown Dayton. We welcome everyone from college students to retirees. Both recreational rowers and competitive racers. Our membership is a pretty even split between men and women.
We will teach you how to row!
- Sign up for Learn-To-Row. ($75 for 6 lessons). Contact the LTR Director
- After graduating from Learn-To-Row, your first year membership is free !
If you already know how to row,
then join GDRA now!
- As a member, you have full access to the boathouse at any time of day. So, you can row on your own schedule, or team up with someone, or join the regularly scheduled sweep practice.
- We have 40 club owned boats to choose from, ranging from entry level boats to elite Hudson racing shells. The fleet includes 2 eights, 2 fours, 1 pair, 5 quads, 7 doubles and 23 singles.
- If you own a boat, we have berths available. Contact the Boathouse Manager.
- Membership fees are reduced for Young Adults (age 18-27) and summer-only College Students.
- Active and Retired Military discounts on all classes and membership fees. Contact the Club President.
- Go to Regatta Central to sign up now!
ATTENTION: FREE ROWING EVENT
The Greater Dayton Rowing Association invites you to discover how rowing can boost your fun & fitness. Get introduced to the boats, oars, basic body mechanics, how to get in a boat safely, & get on the water in a sweep or sculling boat. Registration requested, walk-ins welcome. Receive a $25 discount for our Learn-to-Row program later in May!
When: Saturday, May 11 & Saturday July 13
Where: 101 E. Helena Street. (Island Metropark)